To celebrate photoshop turning 20 I’m providing a list of 20 alternatives. I only included 2 paid apps, one for Windows and one for Mac. Happy Birthday Photoshop!
1. Picnik – Web-based photo editing. Connects with services like Picasa, Flickr and Facebook to grab your photos. There is a free account or a paid premium account.
2. Picasa Web – Free simple photo storing and editing. Powered by Google and is web-based.
3. Picasa 3 – Free program for Windows and Mac. It organizes photos and allows for simple editing.
4. Pixelmator – Cost $59 but is a great Mac program. More advanced features that compare well to photoshop.
5. Gimp – Works with Windows, Linux and Mac. It’s free and provides advanced features.
6. Paint.NET – Windows and free. Provides advanced features.
7. Phoenix – Free web-based photo editing. Provides basic editing with a hint of advanced features.
8. FotoFlexer – Web-based and free. Claims it’s the most advanced online image editor.
9. Pixlr – Web-based photo editing.
10. CinePaint – Mac and Linux open-source image editor.
11. Splashup – Web-based image editor. It’s free and connects to many different websites.
12. Krita – Available for Mac, Linux and Windows. More advanced, similar to GIMP.
13. Seashore – Mac image editor that is open-source.
14. Inkscape – For vector based graphics. Free and available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
15. iPhoto – Free with every Mac. Organizes and does minor photo editing.
16. Corel Paint Shop Pro – Windows and Cost $100. Provides some more advanced features over what some free version do.
17. FlauntR – Web-based photo editing. Many different options to choose from depending on what you want to do.
18. Windows Photo Gallery – Comes with Windows and allows for basic editing.
19. Paint – I have seen some amazing things done with Paint. I can just draw jagged lines.
20. Photoshop Express – It might still have photoshop in it’s name but it’s free and web-based.
I know there are more but I cut it down to 20 for their birthday. If you have more please let everyone know in the comments.